Keep checking here for more updates and look for our e-mail blasts which go out to all members.


2013 Chapter Delegates to National House of Delegates for Fort Worth, Texas
Bob Jantsch
Gina Washlaski
Jessie Bellis
Kellie Pannepacker
Kelly Givens

Alternates for 2013 only:
Catherine Brower, Kim Kane-Santos, Mike Walters, Marie Higgins, Andrea Collier

2014 Chapter Delegates to National House of Delegates for Denver, Colorado
Jessie Bellis
Kellie Pannepacker
Kelly Givens
Two delegates we elect at the spring 2014 meeting

Questions About Licensure

November 9, 2012

Online Renewal of Massage License.....

The Pennsylvania State Board of Massage Therapy has made available license renewal online!
Please do not delay and if you have all of your CE for renewal along with ethics and current CPR valid for at least 6 months(as noted by the state board) renew today.
Please feel free to contact any officer if you need further assistance.
You will need to have your credit card and your license wallet card to enter the needed information.
Please be advised that the licensure board is taking very seriously the CE requirement. DO NOT Check yes if you do not have the required CE's. Go and take your CE's in the next month or 2 then renew.
Again if you need assistance please contact any officer and we will be happy to help.

PA Board newsletter sign up page.  This is the only way the Board has to communicate with licensees and everyone should sign up for it.


Applications for licensure in the state of Pennsylvania are now available......

The Pennsylvania State Board of Massage Therapy has started the application process. The link below will take you directly to the board web site.

Keep in mind that the rules and regulations must be finalized and the application completed (all documents turned in) in to the state licensure board before any license will be issued. The check will not be cashed until the license is issued.

massage therapy licensure board

When you click the link above it brings you to the home page.

Then click on the "Download the correct application" section

Read the information to see which best fits you.

Then go back to the home page and click on the "New""Board Applications" heading

when it opens you can select the type of application located midway down the page.

The just follow the instructions.

To request documents from National AMTA please send an e-mail with your request and contact information to

[email protected]


New Questions and Answers comming soon with application tips as well.


Previous questions and answers

Governor Rendell has named the following people to the Pennsylvania State Board of Massage Therapy..

Toni L. Felice, PhD.

Susan Gobreski

Bob Jantsch

Martha Malina, M.S., NCTMB

Donna K Ponessa

Bill Vogel

Loreli Bauer

Will I need a license to practice massage in PA?
Anyone practicing massage therapy must apply for a license. The only exceptions are licensed healthcare practioners whom already have massage therapy in their scope of practice, such as physical therapist and chiropractors.

What is our scope of practice?
The application of a system of structured touch, pressure, movement, holding and treatment of the soft tissue manifestations of the human body in which the primary intent is to enhance the health and well-being of the client without limitation, except as provided in this act. The term includes the external application of water, heat, cold, lubricants or other topical preparations, lymphatic techniques, myofascial release techniques and the use of electro-mechanical devices, which mimic or enhance the action of the massage techniques. The term does not include the diagnosis or treatment of impairment, illness, disease or disability, a medical procedure, a chiropractic manipulation-adjustment, physical therapy, mobilization-manual therapy, therapeutic exercise, electrical stimulation, ultrasound or prescription of medicines for which a license to practice medicine, chiropractic, physical therapy, occupational therapy, podiatry or other practice of the healing arts is required.

When do I need to apply for a license?
First, the new PA Massage Therapy Licensure Board needs to be chosen; this will be done by the Governor. Once in place, they will establish the rules and regulations for licensure. The new board will also establish the procedures for applying for a license, establish licensure applications and select a licensure examination.

When will this bill take effect?
The rules and regulations will be published in 18 months from the date of the signing of the bill, October 9, 2008. The law will take effect two years from the date of the signing of the bill.

Will I be grandfathered in?
One of the following requirements must be met for grandfathering:

  • You have been in active, continuous practice for a minimum of 5 years, or –
  • You have passed a massage therapy exam that is part of a certification program accredited by the National Commission of Certifying agencies (NCCA), or –
  • You have completed a minimum of 500 hours of massage education, or –
  • You have completed at least 100 hours of massage education and passed the National Exam for State Licensure (NESL) offered by the National Certification Board for Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork (NCBTMB), or –
  • You have completed at least 100 hours of massage education and passed the Massage and Bodywork Licensing Exam (MBLEx) offered by the Federation of State Massage Therapy Board (FSMTB).

What are the continuing education requirements?
Completion of 24 hour of continuing education related to the practice of massage therapy every 2 years in accordance with board regulation. Credit may not be given for courses in office management or practice building.

What if I am a graduate and have not yet taken the exam? Can I still practice?
The board may issue a temporary practice permit to an applicant in order to permit the applicant to practice massage therapy during the six-month period after completing the applicant’s education program. The temporary practice permit issued shall expire in six months from the date of issuance.

If I am a recent graduate, what are the qualifications for licensure?

  • Applicant must be of good moral character
  • Have a high school diploma or its equivalent
  • Complete a massage educational program of at least 600 hours, which includes training in HIV and CPR
  • Pass an examination and pay a licensure fee, both approved by the board
  • Applicant is not addicted to drugs or alcohol

What if I am moving to PA, how will the new law affect me?
The board has the power to grant a reciprocal license without further examination to an applicant who is licensed or certified as a massage therapist or similar practice in another state and has demonstrated qualifications that equal or exceed those required under this act in the determination of the board. No license shall be granted under this section to an applicant unless the state in which the applicant is licensed affords reciprocal treatment to individuals who are residents of this Commonwealth and who are licensed under this act.

Will this enable me to bill insurance for massage?
Effect of Licensure: Licensure under this act shall not be construed as requiring new or additional third-party reimbursement or otherwise mandating coverage under 75 PA C.S. CH. 17 (relating to financial responsibility) or the act of June 2, 1915 (P.L. 736,3,NO.338), known as the Workers’ Compensation Act.

PA workers’ compensation and auto accident law has never approved massage therapy as a coverable service. The stipulation in the current legislation states that insurance companies (private or state regulated) are not required to add massage therapy to their coverable services, although many private companies currently list licensed massage as a coverable service. The language does not prohibit current coverage under this law but makes it clear that these companies aren’t mandated to provide coverage, basically giving the insurance company the choice to determine whether to provide coverage or not. It is also important to note that other states have similar language in their practice acts, such as Michigan and North Carolina.

amta news

Find the nearest unit to your area

Web site design by MCM Communications